Monday, June 12, 2006

Zarqawi's death

Per CNN: The first bomb fell on the safe house at 6:12 p.m. local time on June 7 and coalition personnel were on the scene at about 6:40 p.m., he said.

A medic arriving at the site treated al-Zarqawi as he lapsed in and out of consciousness, his breathing labored and shallow, his airway expelling blood, Caldwell said.

His pulse was "barely palpable and quickly deteriorated," he said. By 7:04 p.m., al-Zarqawi was dead, Caldwell said.

Now I have ethics questions. Is it reasonable for a medical person to avoid rendering aid or comfort to a dying person? They watched him suffer for 52 mins? It appears that way. So how ethical is that?

According to the Geneva convention (which of course, we no longer believe in)...

Art. 3. In the case of armed conflict not of an international character occurring in the territory of one of the High Contracting Parties, each Party to the conflict shall be bound to apply, as a minimum, the following
provisions:

2) The wounded and sick shall be collected and cared for.


Ok by saying these things I will be seen as being "too liberal." I am not sorry for saying it. As a nurse, I believe wholeheartedly, that my mission is to care for everyone on the planet as I can. My Episcopal priest father survived WWII as a pacifist, and he was right, IMHO, that we owe an obligation to our fellow man, as Jesus said. So, I am NOT SORRY that I think that the way in which this incident was handled was UNETHICAL. Period, the end. After all, there was secondary gain to be hand, and that fact or facts will only come out in the future.

2 comments:

Violeta del mar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.