Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Gov. Ann Richards dies

From CNN:
The silver-haired, silver-tongued Richards said she entered politics to help others -- especially women and minorities who were often ignored by Texas' male-dominated establishment. (Watch how Richards took the national stage -- 4:04)

"I did not want my tombstone to read, 'She kept a really clean house.' I think I'd like them to remember me by saying, 'She opened government to everyone,' " Richards said shortly before leaving office in January 1995.


I first met Gov. Richards in Washington D.C. at the March for Women's Lives. Here she is pictured with Sarah Weddington. Gov. Richards gave a rousing speech to those of us assembled and ready to march on the mall.

I understand that she was a doting Grandma, and as you can see here, her grand-daughter marched at her side. Gov. Richard led the Texas delegation, marching beside an enormous Texas flag, her pride in her fellow Texans very evident.

I feel very priveleged that I was able to meet Gov. Richards, and I will surely miss her, but I know that her spirit lives on in all of us who were able to be there and share those moments in Washington D.C. with a woman who was so committed to working for our right to choose.



Thank you Ann, for being there for all of us. Peace be with you and your family, progressivegrannie.

No comments: