Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Riverbend's blog

I try to keep up with this blog, as Riverbend is so eloquent, and has been writing since the Iraq war began. She is Iraqi and recently left Iraq for Syria. Her latest post on being a refugee is quite interesting, and a bit sad. If you have the time, take a look at her blog.
Baghdad Burning blog

An excerpt:
The first weeks here were something of a cultural shock. It has taken me these last three months to work away certain habits I’d acquired in Iraq after the war. It’s funny how you learn to act a certain way and don’t even know you’re doing strange things- like avoiding people’s eyes in the street or crazily murmuring prayers to yourself when stuck in traffic. It took me at least three weeks to teach myself to walk properly again- with head lifted, not constantly looking behind me.

No comments: