Sunday, October 30, 2005

Rosa Parks arrives at the Capitol

Seen on C-span. Rosa Parks' family arrived via a 1955 era bus. Ms. Parks' casket was taken into the Capitol rotunda by pall bearers, while We Shall Overcome was hummed quietly. She was placed on a bier, and then the Morgan State University choir sang. President and Mrs. Bush were there. Bush looked like he had been made to attend, he had that sucked up, thinned lip look that he affects when he is doing things he doesn't like. He kept looking right and left like he had never seen that many black people assembled in one place in his entire life; obviously uncomfortable. In the background I could see Sen. Frist (with a dorkey smile) and Sen. Harkin (IA)looking thoughtful. (And yes, I am biased, because I like Sen. Harkin). Bush and wife shook hands, I could not read his lips all the time, the one time I could, I think he said, God be with you. Then they left.
Rosa Parks deserves to be remembered as a woman of great strength. If you have not read any history of her life, google her name and get to work. What a gracious and courageous woman.

No comments: